How I get back on track to feeling healthy after indulging!
Usually it happens after a holiday or celebration … I’ll indulge too much in sweets, foods my body doesn’t love, more wine than usual, skip my workouts, and then I’ll feel bla and like I need a reset to get back on track.
Easter weekend was like that. We had mimosas, sugary lemon bread, takeout from one of my favorite Italian restaurants, and some Easter candy. There were some salads and fruits in there, but Monday morning I felt like I needed a reset.
If you need a reset too, here’s what I’ve been doing and how I get back to feeling good. 🙂
- Drink LOTS of water! This is such a simple thing but sometimes it’s hard for me to remember. I aim to drink half my body weight in ounces of water a day. So I have this 40-ounce stainless steel water bottle that I fill up and drink about 2x a day.
- Move for 20-30 minutes a day. I love the feeling of starting my day with a workout before my girls get up. It doesn’t always happen, but when it does, I feel more productive and energized. Walking, strength training, high-intensity-interval training (HIIT), yoga and jogging are some of my favorites. I’m working on a post about my favorite at-home workout resources, so stay tuned. 🙂
- Get outside. When the weather is nicer, this is much easier to do so I try to take advantage of it. We sit outside, walk, take bike rides, color chalk, eat lunch and dinner outside … I make it a point to spend as much time as I can, especially lately. 🙂 I feel better almost immediately once I step outside.
- Be mindful of sugar. This is such a hard one because after indulging in too much sugar, all I want is more sugar. So it’s a hard cycle to break. To me, being mindful of sugar doesn’t mean depriving myself of it. Instead, if I’m craving something sugary I’ll stop and think if it’s out of habit, stress, boredom? Usually for me after indulging for a bit, it has quickly turned into a habit that I need to break. Again. But I feel so much better when I break that habit.
- Load up on veggies! This is so important and helps me feel better really fast. For breakfast, I’ll have a smoothie with protein (this one is a favorite because it’s vegan and made with pea protein), spinach, frozen riced cauliflower, and a little fruit. For lunch, I’ll have scrambled eggs with a bunch of veggies like zucchini, spinach, mushrooms, bell pepper. For snack, I’ll reach for almonds and/or a piece of fruit. And one of my favorite back-on-track dinners is simply salmon and roasted veggies. (This post has a bunch of tips for how to add more veggies to your meals).
- Limit wine and alcohol. Like the sugar, sometimes I’ll realize having a glass of wine has turned into a habit that I want to break. I want to save wine for nights I really want it. Instead of wine, I’ll pour a glass of kombucha or bubly water in a wine glass and it feels special. 🙂
- Go to bed early. It’s amazing how much better I sleep when I’ve filled my body with veggies, water, sunshine and exercise instead of sugar, wine and laziness! I try to go to bed half an hour earlier and I feel so much better in the morning.
I find that if I’m mindful about doing these things for a few days after indulging too much, then I feel back to 100% so quickly.
I’d love to know if you find these things helpful, and if there are things you do to get back on track after indulging too much? Let me know in the comments below! 🙂
+ show Comments
- Hide Comments
add a comment